Monday, February 27, 2012

A Cheaper Teacher Organizer

So I'm cruising pinterest one day, looking for more tips on how to be more organized and I come across some amazing teacher organizer bins. Now, if you are at all familiar with pinterest or you like lakeshorelearning.com's teacher organizing tools, you'll know that what I found was the $49.95 All Purpose Teacher Organization bins. I mean, they're pretty amazing bins and they come with labels and folders and blah blah blah... They're also award winning. However, I currently have no salary and am paying to teaching with my student teaching so that wasn't really an option for me. So the picture of the bins got filed away to my pinterest board and I kept on with my search. One day, I went to Target and of course had to go into the dollar section. And I stumbled upon these bins... I decided to keep on walking because I wasn't quite sure about my opinion of them. A few days later, I returned to Target and saw the bins but they weren't in pretty colors. If you haven't noticed, my roommate and I love Target and typically frequent it about once a week. So I went home, deciding that it wasn't meant to be. However, I returned to pinterest and found that some other fellow educators had used these boxes too! I grew determined to make my own version of these $49.95 bins.
VOILA!! My creation. So, they didn't have yellow but that's okay. I bought 8 bins after going to two different Targets as the first had NONE. 5 bins are used for the 5 days of the week and 1 is labeled other because stuff happens and sometimes you just need that other bin. I'm not completely certain what I'll do with my other two but at the moment, I have two preps so I could use one for each prep. Anyways, so I labeled the bins with the days using simple paper and cardstock. I then decided that I needed matching folders just like the $49.95 version. So, I started looking online for 'manila' style folders that came in the four colors. And then I found a pack of 100 for $14.79 at Costco.
So now, I will label these folders and each day's bin will receive several folders. Thus far, I'm thinking that each day will have a folder of the copies made for that day, homework collected, homework or what not to pass back, attendance sheet.... I'm not sure of all the possibilities but I do know that I have 100 of these babies :)

Have fun being thrifty! Oh, and the Target bins were $2.50 apiece....

5 daily bins * $2.50 = 12.50
1 other bin * $2.50 = 2.50
Folders = $14.79
Total= $29.79 < $49.50 plus I have folders to spare!

6 comments:

  1. I know that you posted this a while ago, but I was literally just looking for a less expensive option than Lakeshore's organizers. I really like them, but think that they're priced too high. I will go look at Target tomorrow to see if they have them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry this took so long to reply! I'm so glad that I was able to be of assistance!! Crossed fingers that Target had them! If not this year, I think they get them back every year (summer) and in different colors because I had seen posts about them from years ago on other blogs. Hope your school year is going well!

      Delete
  2. Do you have a pic of your final project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only immediate picture of my product would be the bins above. I simply placed 3 folders of the same color into each bin, one for each class, and one for extra things I need that day. If you'd still like a picture, I'd be happy to take one though!

      Delete
  3. I was at children's orchard, a kids resale shop, last week. (Selling clothes) and they had a 12 bin holder (with bins) for $20.00!! Unfortunately there was no room in the car, so I passes, knowing I would be back the next day with room to spare.

    I lamented missing out on the holder and bins and the sales lady informed me they get 10+ a year right after thanksgiving as ppl clean out their kids rooms b4 Christmas. She also took down my name and number and said she would call the next time one was brought in ( I offered her ice cream from the baskin Robbins next door)

    I make up projects and put them in 1qt storage bins for ease of reusing. Given that each of these will store 12 of these bins I am quite excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo Hoo! Quite the deal! I love my bins and having them color coded makes for easy distribution and recipient (I have no idea what word would work here) from the kid's side of things. That's another great place to keep your eye out for wonderful teacher resources!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...