Thursday, March 8, 2012

Equations of Circles

So I'm almost in my spring placement of student teaching although I do not have official word of where I will be placed... However, it has been requested that I stay in my current placement so I have begun to create lessons for future topics. One topic that is coming up is "Circles in the Coordinate Plane" as part of the chapter on circles. This chapter has not been very fun, and in fact, most of my students detest it. So, I wanted to get a little creative. Because the topic of equations of circles is rather easy to get quickly, I've decided that my day 2 will be an Art day where students will design a picture using circles and they must provide the equations of the circles as well as write a question for one of the circles. I haven't hashed out the fine details yet but I will repost about this later.

Other fun that I've tried to make in my classroom was the lesson on vectors. Vectors are pretty easy to comprehend once students do right triangles. To make the lesson slightly more entertaining, I based the SMART notebook off of "Despicable Me" and the villain. For those of you who don't know, the villain is named Vector!!! Go to youtube and look him up.

Also coming up.... area and perimeter and volume and surface area.... i'm getting so excited!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...