Sunday, April 1, 2012

Equations of Circles UPDATE

Sorry this has taken so long. We were on spring break this past week and well, I quite frankly didn't feel like grading homework/circle projects after their tests while I was vacationing with the family. I have a lot of posts that I need to do but I figured that I'd update you all, whoever you might be, on how the circle projects came out!!!

Here's a refresher: My students were asked to create a picture using at least 4 circles (if they did 8, they got extra points, and after their main 4, they could add on to it however they pleased) and then they had to label the equation, center, and radius for EACH circle. Lastly, I had students create a question that would be used for one of their circles. Below is a picture of the rubric that I gave to each student. They were then asked to staple this to their creations when they handed them in.
The pictures that I got back were for the most part, amazing!!! I had chosen to do this project because I was well aware that I had students who were very interested in art and I wanted to find a way to incorporate this into our class. Equations of circles was the perfect solution to this!! Although the students were only required to do 4, many did the 8 for extra credit and some students went above and beyond! Two students did more than 50 circles, one doing 56 and another doing 110!!!! My students and our youth are extremely talented. I find this to be sad, however, because the school district that I am in is losing their art classes next year due to budget cuts and a levy that hadn't passed in the fall. I'm uploading a few pictures of their creations. See for yourself!! Give your students the ability to draw in your math class instead of doing a worksheet (although some students did say to me that they would have preferred this, but they were a small portion). Please be reminded that these are samples of work from my students and all work has been de-identified and I do not take credit for their creative/artistic ability.









Phew, I've really been wanting to share all their beautiful work and the idea for teaching this lesson. Enjoy!!!

p.s. my vistaprint order came in... it's still in the box because I have been so busy with catching myself up for post spring break..... but I will repost about that soon!!!

UPDATE:


Here's a picture of all the pictures hanging up. The students and classes keep looking at their art work. My honors kids were rather jealous that "Geometry just colors."


6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica and thank you for sharing your link as well!! Love the blogging education world!

      Delete
  2. I really love this lesson. So fun and yet great practice. Can't wait to use it with my sixth graders. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked this Lisa! You should check out the circle plate post and you could adjust it to meeting sixth grade requirements!

      Delete
  3. I'm a freshmen in high school and I'm doing this right now... the two examples are sponge bob and the kid holding the balloons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So my teacher just simply can't teach us and it's a wonder she hasn't been fired so this is what we're doing and she said google it and Google brought me here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...