Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mosaics with Percents/Decimals/Fractions UPDATED

Despite having an extremely long day today (oh about a 15 hour day), I'm sitting here wide awake. I've been meaning to make post for a while now about a lesson that I did back in the fall when my student teaching placement was in a middle school. At this placement, I taught 7th grade math to a group of inner city children. One of the lessons that I taught was about converting between percents, decimals, and fractions. For the first part of the lesson, I created a Smart Notebook file that I based upon something I found on Smart Exchange (a wonderful resource that I highly recommend). It proved to be a very wonderful lesson that broke down the three topics very well starting with a 10 by 10 square shading leading to different and more complex fractions that my students solved. If you are interested, I'd be happy to post a few of the slides but for now, I want to focus on what I had my students do after the lesson.

I'm a huge fan of incorporating outside skills and subjects into my classroom. Before I wanted to be a math teacher, I grew up wanting to be an art teacher (I really wasn't that great) but it was something I loved. Because of this, I always look for ways to incorporate art into my classroom. Can you tell? Did you read my post about graphing circle artwork?

Anyways, with my 7th graders, I based their assignment off of an article I read somewhere (I can't find it anymore) about creating a mosaic or a quilt where students must develop the percent, decimal, and fraction for their design. Each student was given a 10 by 10 square that they were to color using at least 4 colors. For my advanced classes, I had them exclude the outside rows (making it an 8 by 8 square) to create more difficult fractions. This also required them to think about what the new dimensions would be. A problem on its' own. The back side of the worksheet was an additional chart that had certain values included such as a percent and they had to find the fraction and decimal as well as a column for the dollar amount. Sometimes, they'd be given a fraction or maybe a decimal and so forth.

Basically, my kids were super pumped to be coloring in a math class. Especially in my inner city placement where many of my students went home and weren't allowed to be kids. Warning for some of you, some of your students might not have coloring utensils at home and because of this, they don't end up doing their homework.... But here are a few that I got back :)


 This is an example of one of the differentiated mosaics.

The back side of the worksheet.

Hopefully, this gives you some ideas on how you can use art when teaching the fraction, decimal, percent conversion. Let me know, if I can send you or post any of my documents, I've included the link to the front side of the worksheet where students can color on scribd :)



Warm Regards!

P.S. Update (1/21/13) Wow! This post has been popular! Thank you to everyone who has pinned this and helped create traffic to my blog! I realized that i never gave credit to the article that inspired this lesson so I wanted to add it! Masterpieces to Mathematics

Percents Decimals Fractions Mosaic

31 comments:

  1. Cute! I hope you keep blogging regularly--it's so true how few resources there are for fun secondary math! I'm a first year Algebra teacher and am just starting to get my creativity integrated back into lesson plans this year; for some reason it was so much easier when I was student teaching (maybe because I student taught in 3rd/6th grades!!) Anyway, keep it up, and know that you are inspiring at least one teacher to tap back into her fun creative resources :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mindy! Hopefully your first year has been great, I really look forward to mine!! I'm glad you too think that secondary math has such few resources! The plan is to keep this blog going and your comment definitely put a big smile on my face :) the first comment I've received!! So thank you for your kind words and for keeping me inspired to put a little more inspiration out there into the world.

      Delete
    2. I'm going to use the worksheet tomorrow :)

      Delete
    3. Yay!! I hope your kids love it as much as mine did!! Enjoy!

      Delete
    4. I am so glad this popped up on google! I am a 4th year teacher, but I just switched from seniors to sixth graders and need as many ideas as possible! This is great...Thank you! My sixth graders thank you too :)

      Delete
    5. I'd love to know ideas that you used when you were teaching high school!! I'd love to make the switch back to middle school one day, but for now.... I try to make the high school fun!!! Glad you and your sixth graders enjoyed!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great activity. Some of my lower 7th grade math students really struggle with those conversions. I would love copies of your documents and your SMARTBoard file if you are inclined to share them. Great post!

    luvbcd@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherrie! It was a really fun activity! I actually filmed the lesson (we create small dvds of ourselves for portfolios when we interview) and I am using a clip where the kids are saying "OOOH!!! WHAAAT??? WE GET TO COLOR!!!!" Hopefully, you will get the same reaction!

      Delete
  4. This activity looks great! I love to review these topics at the end of the year. I'm going to do this activity next week! I'd love a copy of the SMART File, and back side of the worksheet if you're willing to share... or any other related materials for this lesson. I found your blog on pinterest, and am loving it!

    Thanks!

    meaghan.allison86@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meaghan! I just sent my lesson to you! Enjoy! And keep pinning for me!!

      Delete
  5. I just found this activity and printed it to use with my 6th graders today! Thank you so much! I am so glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad that you liked the activity and my blog! How'd the activity go?

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing your well-integrated activity! I'm planning to do this activity next week with my grade 5 students. If at all possible, I'd love a copy of your SMART File, and back side of the worksheet and/or any other related materials for this lesson. I found you on pinterest, and appreciate you sharing your work with us. It really inspires new ways of developing cross curricular activities. Many thanks!

    Warm regards,

    Devina
    d.shah@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have a copy of the files.

    Thanks!

    rvperr@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria! I'm currently working on finding my files on my other laptop. I'm working with two at the moment since I got my school laptop. I'll get them to you soon!

      Delete
  8. I would love your Smart file and any other resources too. Thanks! Very impressive for a first year teacher :)

    jodester19@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good day, you have such a nice blog, it was impossible not to comment on it! And I have a question for you. Is this a paid blog theme that you can buy or you used a common one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Always love to see people stopping by!

      This is actually just a common theme on blogger. It seemed pleasant enough :)

      Delete
  10. I too would love the files as we are moving into this very soon!

    First year 6th grade at an inner city school as well - they will love this!

    Thanks!
    tasha.mink@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tasha! Sorry I just emailed you! Hopefully you were still able to use the lesson!! How'd it go?

      Delete
  11. Love this!! Have been looking for a task for my 6th graders, this looks perfect! Love a copy of the smart file if you have it handy... Mkoblin77@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could you send me the copy of the smart file and handouts if you get a chance! I am really excited to try this with my kids next week. laurel.newberry@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea!!!! I'm excited to share it with my class!!! Could you send me the copy of the smart file as well. Thank you for sharing!!!!

    choskins@wtschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great activity! I am always looking for something quick and simple - the attention span of a 7th grader is very limited unless they love it - they will LOVE this. Is it possible for me to get a copy of everything if possible! Thanks so much and keep the wonderful ideas coming! themoses3@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great activity!! Can you email me the front and back side of the worksheet and anything you have for 6th grade. YOU are amazing! vaseleni@aol.com Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope everyone has enjoyed the lesson! Would love to hear how they all went!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing! Can you email me the back side of the worksheet? mslee1999@gmail.com
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so excited I found this activity. I have taught k-6 for 18 years. However, this is my first year in 6th grade math. I am going to do this next week. Would you be so kind to send me the copy of the back of the worksheet and the smart board lesson? I truly appreciate it, and I can't wait to look at your other things. Thanks for sharing. Happy Thanksgiving. My email is dcseay@gaston.k12.nc.us

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ms. Rudolph,

    Thank you so much for this post! What a wonderful, high-quality activity! It was exactly what I was looking for my unit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank-you so much for this idea! I am going to use this with my 6th graders. I agree that there are not enough blogs for middle school/high school. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...