As I promised, I would be receiving the three dimensional objects from my children today and this was what I had to carry to my car and up three flights of stairs into my apartment. The project was due today so I received several well-constructed and several not-so-well constructed objects with calculations.
My children were "assigned" a three-dimensional object that they could then trade with someone in their group. Some students had the easy way out with cubes or rectangular prism while others had a more difficult task of doing a cylinder or a cone or something with a base with more than 4 sides. Most difficult of all could be a composite figure.
Anyways, the project was pretty straight forward. My students got points for their object (also for doing an object that was either a prism, cylinder, etc), turning in the rubric with calculations, drawings of both the net and 3-D object, finding the surface area and volume.
I just started grading tonight and have had the good, the bad, and the ugly. I figured I'd share some of their creations.
A composite figure that the student designed to be a cat. This composite figure had the most objects combined to make a composite figure. As well, this student is infamously my student who did the circle project with 133 circles. Another great reason why I enjoy differentiating and finding activities that my students will enjoy.
Another composite figure. This was one of the first that I got back and it definitely took her and I extra time to work on.
As you can see, I was quite proud of the composite figures. This one was made of cardboard whereas most of the other ones were made of cardstock. I would highly recommend doing this project and having students use more sturdy material.
A beautiful triangular prism that had great detailed work.
One of my artists created a cereal box. I, of course, greatly enjoyed the math jokes on the back. It was another job well done.
Now this composite figure got mucho extra credit as he did two figures that had bases with 6 sides. It was again, a great job. Students who did bases with sides more than 4 discovered that they had to account for other calculations when creating their objects.
This one was just so pretty. Her mother got carried away with the bow apparently.....
This was just a very well constructed pyramid. The material was very sturdy and it held together very well.
Lastly, one student created a triangular prism that was a bird house. Rather than placing his in the box with the rest of them, this one was hanging in my room until I left for the day.
Well, these were some highlights from my grading this evening. Of course, I am very well aware that with projects comes extremely long and tedious grading. For this project, I'm having to check a lot of calculations to ensure that the object is within the dimension. My mentor and I decided that it'd be nice to have two prototypes that show what your object should be between, size wise.
Another con to this project that I am discovering is students not following the rubric completely..... If you want to see the rubric again, it is on the original post for the 3-D Object Project.
However, I stand by my decision to this project as I believe that it was a great way to get students thinking outside of the formulas that they were taught. These students are, after all, the future engineers and architects and I would like to see the creativity and ingenuity that we have to look forward to in our future.
So I challenge you. Do a project. Spend lot's of time grading. But find a way to challenge your students to think outside of the formulas.