Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Who Has? Reading/Writing Expressions and Equations


The game of Who Has? It's a fairly common game that can be played in many different ways. In my fall placement, I played the game when teaching students how to read and write various expressions and equations. After going through the lesson with students where we developed a list of words that described the various operations as well as going through a couple of examples, we played the game. 

Students were each given a card. On one side of the card, students had a question such as "Who has a number added to 7?" and on the other side had "5/(x+8)." Basically, we started out the game by reading the "Who Has?" card and whoever had the card, would continue by reading the expression again and then reading their own "Who Has?" question. The game went around in a circle and it fit perfectly. Many students wanted to have multiple cards, and they were given them because I made extra, and each student had to participate. It was important for students to listen closely and it was amusing because students often got annoyed when their peers weren't paying attention bringing the game to a halt. 

Now, I don't have the cards with the examples I did on them to upload because I'd have to upload nearly 40 sides but I can tell you that I used a series of examples from my textbook and had to create the cards such that I ensured there would be a circle of problems. But I did provide the general game instructions below. Originally, it was a document but I just copied and pasted below.

Who Has…?

The students will be given cards that have an expression or equation as well as a question asking who has a certain representation of a phrase. Students will be translating these phrases mentally in order to compare their particular expressions or equations.

Materials:          
- Deck of Who Has…? Cards (20 cards)

Game:

Pass out the entire deck to the class. There may be extras; in this case, give some students an extra card or evaluate these cards on your own.  Any student may begin by reading his or her card aloud.  The student with the answer responds by reading his/her card.  Play continues until all cards are used. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...