Monday, July 2, 2012

I know it's been a long time....

It's been just over a month since my last post and for that I apologize. I guess the teaching blogs do run a little dry in the summer .... especially when you don't know what you're teaching .....

Anyways.... I know I said I'd post the link to my kids' video from their final project so here's this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y56KYsniG0

But the video that I was the most proud of was a stopmotion video. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if they have a link on youtube or not but I have it saved on my iTunes for years to come :) I took a few screen shots of it ...

At the end of their video, after discussing the soh cah toa business along with law of sines and cosines and how they might use them with actual numbers, the group did a little for your information about their project. 2500 post it notes were used in the making of this video with 27 hours spent between 3 people working on this video. They came in exhausted to present this but I had the biggest smile on my face while watching these videos. If you really let your students have a lot of freedom, they will show you how talented they really are. I can expect to see their names in the rolling credits one day...

I really had an amazing time doing my student teaching (the above picture was emailed to me from a student so with their permission, I added it to the blog). Some of my students even want to visit me in my future classroom! Well, hopefully I can announce where that will be soon.... But I did sign a lease in Columbus so I can guarantee that it won't be too far away!! So students... if you're reading this.... feel free to visit me wherever I might end up!!!

So currently, I've spent my summer editing my Masters' Thesis as well as packing up the apartment and shopping for furniture for the new apartment. Craigslist has been my friend as I currently have no promise of a salary. Also, I get my official teaching license this week!!! I attached some of the pieces of art that I've been working on my for my new apartment. I've really found that painting has helped with the stress of not having a job. In fact, I've been so calm recently that I haven't had a major panic attack about the lack of a job......


 Oh... and I had to throw in a picture of the shoes that I got for my birthday... They're TOMS and normally, I am very uninterested in the shoes but they were Calculus TOMS and I couldn't pass up the idea that they had math written all over them.... I'm thinking of getting a pair for Heidi as she will be teaching Calculus next year at Malvern High School!!!!! amongst her other 4 preps..... But yes, my roommate accepted a job about a month ago back home so today, we will be beginning to move her into her new apartment!
Well, that's really all I have for you today. Sorry it's not more math related but I was really inspired because I got two emails yesterday (I was in Cincinnati for the Kenny Chesney concert) about my blog and it reminded me that there are still people out there. Writing this blog gives me great joy and I've been slacking a little, partially because I have no preps to prep for yet....

But I will leave you with this idea that I heard from one of my peers.... He was teaching Surface Area / Volume and he took his class on a tour around the world. They were given passports with the various sights they would see and on the Smart Board they went to different locations where they had to find these values of building structures. Geography/Math? I love it!!! I personally loved that unit and am sad that soon it'll be out of the high school curriculum so middle school folk.... have fun with it for us!!!

Once again, thank you for reading and hopefully I'll have news on here soon so that I can start throwing out some ideas!!!

4 comments:

  1. I have seen those red Toms and wanted a pair so bad, but could not find them. I'm jealous. Good luck on the job search. I love the idea your colleague had for surface area. I HATE teaching that because many of my 7th graders struggle with it so much. What a fun and creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple weeks ago, they had all of the sizes available so I am willing to get they will continue to get more in because when I originally looked, they had no sizes available.

      http://www.toms.com/calculus-101-women-s-classics

      But there's the link!! And crossed fingers that they get more in!!! Thanks for the well wishes on the job search!! Something else my friend talked about with surface area was posing the question how they might find the surface area of an orange peel!

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to let you know I've really enjoyed reading your blog - you have a ton of great ideas! I just finished up my first yr of teaching and at first I also thought that there weren't many secondary math blogs out there, but after searching a bit there are a bunch of really quality blogs to look at. I also see you're from Columbus, I'm from the Akron area. O-H-I-O! If you aren't on twitter you should really think about it, its a really great way to collaborate with other math educators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just told that I should really look into Twitter more! My mom is a high school math teacher and I know she uses twitter as an additional PD resource! I love how we can collaborate so much in this profession!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...