Sunday, October 7, 2012

Children's Book - Inverse Functions [The Results]

This past week, students turned in their children's book where they created a story that lead the reader through the process of finding the inverse of a variety of functions. The following day, we had story hour. To prepare the kids for story time, I had a little story time with the kids myself. I linked the post to the youtube video where the kids and I watched and listened to Dr. Seuss' "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish." This was the first time where there was applause in my classroom, sigh. They really liked watching the story time and they were even more ready to read their own stories. One suggest that a child produced was for me to show this when introducing the project. Next time, I might do this or perhaps I'd read them a story or ask a leading question: What stories did you love to be read at bed time as a child?

For the most part, the products were wonderful and the students were able to illustrate their ability to find the inverse of functions step by step. Mastery obtained.

I've uploaded a few highlights. Enjoy!















Below is the link to the rubric that I used when grading the projects. I liked the project, overall, because it helped the kids work on their explanations and ability to justify steps (common core friendly?) and not to mention, it gave kids a chance if they don't test well. The results for the project were alot better than a test, more work to grade but definitely more enjoyable to do in general. Story time in math = fun :)

Update: Barnes and Noble offers free online story time with tons of stories that could have been used to present this project!
Trig Unit 3 LT4 LT5 LT6 LT7 Mastery Project Rubric

1 comment:

  1. These all YouTube gaming video tutorials are actually in pleasant quality, I watched out all these along through my colleagues.
    Best Kids book reviews

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...