Monday, November 5, 2012

Circles and Paper Plates, OH MY!

We're halfway into our conics unit in Algebra 2. This, infamously, is their least favorite unit, according to the students. So I decided that it was super necessary to make it a little fun. The four conics are parabolas, circles, ellipses, and hyperbolas.

In my opinion, the circles are by far the easiest and therefore, the best to have some fun with! Now, I'll confess, I have seen this idea on pinterest through another fabulous educator's blog and now I'll talk about it myself!

After doing the lesson on circles, I showed two example plates on the screen before showing the instructions (see below).


I liked this activity as it allowed for the kids to focus on the basics of an equation: radius and center. After this activity, I lead into my Circle Graphing Project, which I'll post about later as well. Between the two art projects, kids were doing different skills required for the circle conics. Crossed fingers that this was good news!

Here are a few of their plates! The first one was voted prettiest in my one class :)









As you can see, I have a rather tall board...... It can be a struggle. I reach approximately half of the board. The rest of the board has to be reached by standing on chair. Anyways, allow your kids to show their creativity and they might just enjoy math a little :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...