Monday, November 26, 2012

Sequences & Series: Cartooning

I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving break! We just returned from a whole week off! Of course, I gave my children loads of work to do over this vacation so I now have a ton of stuff to grade :(

My plan for the day was pretty easy and eased the kids back into the swing of things before they have finals in 3 weeks (again, we are on a semester schedule). Trigonometry was supposed to start unit 6, sequences and series, today but that was slightly altered to accommodate for the poor test results of unit 5. However, I wanted to still get them to start thinking about the unit at the end of class.

I started out by discussing what unit we were about to embark in and how it was very important to notice patterns. To warm us up, I created a series of broken up comic strips and placed them into baggies. Their job, was to place the comic strips back into the correct order. Now, this wasn't an entirely easy feat as I placed the pieces of 5 different comic strips into one bag (and this could have been made even more difficult if I had chosen comics that used the same characters).

After the groups raced to complete the comic strips, I allowed for them to read the comic strips (they were all math related, woo hoo!) and then we discussed what strategies they used to solve the comic strips, which was then related to problem solving and looking for the patterns = finding the common ratio or difference in a sequence.



Overall, I liked this as a unique introduction to Sequences & Series and the kids enjoyed it slightly, for the brief amount of time that they did it. Next time, I'd love to make it more difficult or even have the kids create their own sequence of events. Tonight, they get to start taking notes as my preheating/flipped classroom esque style.

11 comments:

  1. I would love it if you could share the comics that you used!

    Natalie
    nnirwin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy!

      Just in case anyone else was ever interested, I'd be happy to email these out!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Hi! I'm about to teach series and sequences, would you be able to email me the comics you used as well?

      Thank you! email: sportsterone77@yahoo.com

      Delete
  2. Can I get a copy of the comics as well?

    Thanks!
    massie.rachel@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I just started following your blog and I love it. Could I also get a copy of the comics you used?
    Dstow@tkcs.org

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog! Could I also get a copy of your comics?
    jlind@emailmtcs.org
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blog! Could I also get a copy of your comics?

    addorsey5@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you still emailing out these comics? If so then may I have them too?? mbettis@shps.org

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog post while looking for ideas. I am not sure if you are still emailing out the comics, but I would love a copy. eajayi@student.lps53.org
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!! Can you please share your comics? I would LOVE to use them in my class!
    sheri_alonso@glenbard.org

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...