Thursday, April 4, 2013

iCECREAM exponents

Welp folks, complex numbers are now complete and we are on our way into Quadratics.... after a brief stop at the midterm next week. While the kids were testing today, I decided to draw up a concept that a student and I had combined efforts on.

At the beginning of complex numbers, we discussed the concept of "i" and how when it is raised to certain powers, it can take on different values, alternating between 4 distinct ones. To help remember what i raised to a certain power is, we create the coordinate plane and remember to divide the exponent by 4. This generic explanation did not sit well with some of my kids. When needing to explain the concept to a friend, a student decided to put this in terms of popsicles and how much eating several popsicles would cost.

I decided to tweak this a bit and put it in terms of icecream scoops! She saw the result of my drawing today and absolutely loved it so I will share it with you!


What do you think? Does it make sense or should I tweak it some more?

4 comments:

  1. .25centsign means one-fourth of a penny and likewise for .50centsign (half of a penny) and .75centsign. If you use the decimal point, then you need to use $ symbol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoops! shows what you forget when you've been out of the lower math for a while!

      Delete
  2. I'm totally stealing this for next semester! Thank you (from my algebra II students too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo Hoo!!! My student who helped me create this is so incredibly proud!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...