Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Complex numbers, as told through a children's book

Last semester, I had my trigonometry students write me a children's book about inverses of functions. I loved this project and thought it was a great way to help students understand the concepts while creating a wonderful guide for the kids when it came time to study for their finals. I really wanted to find a way to incorporate it into my Algebra 2 class, so ta da!!! Here it is! In complex number form!

Complex numbers were actually a lot better for the kids to write a story about because it was a more "basic" concept and the kids really benefited from our conversations of why (especially when solving division problems and how to multiply by the conjugate).


You can sort of tell in this picture that I was living like a hobo in my old apartment prior to moving (I had no bed and slept on a mattress on the ground....). As my blog has shown, my life in the last couple of months has been hectic to say the least between moving, a wedding, a new dog, remodeling small parts of the condo, and blah blah blah....


When trying to decide how in the world they would start their project, I gave alot of the kid's some thoughts. For example, "What was your favorite childhood book?" With some inspiration, I got wonderfully unique yet classic stories.


I also had wonderfully artistic and creative ones! This student hand water painted each page!! She used this in her end of year presentation in advisory to showcase her hard work :)


I also had students who were pretty awesome at rhyming :)



1 comment:

  1. I love this idea and would like to incorporate it next year into my classroom! What guidelines did you give students to get them started? Do you have a rubric you are willing to share? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...