Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Formative Assessment Lessons - They are more fun than they sound!

Alright, here was the list of topics that I would soon be posting about....


- Formative Assessment Lessons (professional development that focused on these lessons)

- Angry Birds Level

- Conical Art

- Identifying Conics investigation leading to group work leading to fun with fly swatters

- Real World Racing to solve work rate problems

So first up is these Formative Assessment Lessons.

During J-Term, the math department started professional development with some of the other local STEM school teachers. We were introduced to these lessons that I call MDC (math design collaboratives). Essentially, the lessons are broken into several parts, a preassessment, an introduction, an activity, a discussion, and a postassessment. I decided to do 3 this semester and for the most part, I loved the lessons and the kids did as well! One of the tricky things I found about these lessons was the fact that they basically come scripted..... which initially I felt like I didn't have the ability to give my kids as much information as I wanted to but again, that was the purpose. The kids were to discover on their own and make mistakes (we weren't to correct these).



This is the lesson focusing on graphing quadratic functions. After giving the preassessment and discussing how 3 different equations can actually represent the same graph (because each equation tells us different information), the kids played dominos (this did require me describing how to play the game.... shocking!!!!).  They loved this activity and their favorite part of these activities is that I allow for them to display their work on a poster, as described by the MDC activities.

The titles of the lessons that I did this semester included:

Equations of Circles (2) - during my conics unit, I loved that it dealt with intercepts as this is a topic that  I don't focus on during the unit [it's one that is discussed during the course but should be continued to be understood]


Defining Regions using Inequalities - PERFECT for systems of inequalities as it allows the kids to use many different ways to solve these systems until they finally recognize how quickly graphing can work. Plus, the activity is a treasure hunt! Their homework last night was a worksheet that I had found called "Ohio Jones," they thought I was hilarious.....

Lessons are still being created, in fact, I have the file for one about properties of radicals (I ran out of time to do that in my last unit but I firmly believe that it would have been a great addition...). Another great feature of these lessons is the fact that they have middle school level! I'm hoping to be doing alot more work with the program starting in the fall as these lessons were a great example of how to NOT do a traditional lecture lesson :)

Okay, posts that I still owe you:
- Angry Birds Level

- Conical Art

- Identifying Conics investigation leading to group work leading to fun with fly swatters

- Real World Racing to solve work rate problems

I'll work on it but my precious puppy is sleeping next to me and I just want to play :)







7 comments:

  1. Where can these lessons be found?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://map.mathshell.org/lessons.php
      This is the website for the FALs (formative assessment lessons.

      Delete
  2. Never mind. I see now where they came from. I have used these in my classroom too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where can I find these lessons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://map.mathshell.org/materials/lessons.php

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I'm really interested in trying the quadratics lesson out in my class this year. Out of curiosity, had your students seen/worked with quadratics already or was this an introduction? If they had worked with them previously, what topics were covered before completing the lesson?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...