Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Barbie and Ken finally went on their date! The results

Finally! I got to teach my fundamental counting principle lesson that I had come up with January!! I had previously posted about the lesson but now, I finally get to give the results. One of the classes that I'm teaching this semester is Trigonometry (once again, we break up Algebra 2 into two classes: Algebra 2 and Trigonometry - both have doses of other classes). The first unit of Trig is probability with the first learning target being the fundamental counting principle. The night before, I give them a preheat assignment where they watch a fun video about the principle followed by some questions. (Typically, it's a fairly easy concept so this goes over fairly well)

The next day, I had the kids get out the magazines they had brought in and started off the lesson.

1) They cut out articles of clothing. The boys, they typically only chose guys' outfits and the girls, obviously girl outfits.

One student, "Dude, this is so cool/fun" I loved it!

It's hard to get the kids to cut out "ugly" clothing just so that they had enough. I also laughed because some of barbie's outfits were wedding dresses.

2) I laid out what all they had to do on their poster and hinted for them to think about their homework the previous night. The only concept that was a semi struggle was whether they were to add or multiply the arrangements of barbie's two cases and whether the dresses should just be included in general. Of course, this made for a good discussion after the fact.

One girl, "Woah, that's a lot of outfits!"
Me, "Just think about how many articles of clothing you have in your closet!"

3) After the kids created the posters, I had them hang them around the room. I then chose a few groups to present either Ken, or Barbie Case 1, or Barbie Case 2. Together, we then also discussed what to do with the two Barbie cases.

When we were going over some examples as a class, Ken actually had more outfits... what does that say about my boys in my class?

The reason I am loving this lesson so much is that it is leading into our discussion with probability about why it is important to recognize when you don't know the total number of arrangements or when a specific event can happen :)

Of course, some of the magazine clippings ended up on the floor but I had to laugh because at the end of the day, the clipping above was on the ground (it's the cover to my project slides). Overall, the kids loved it and it was a great way to start the year with some fun! I just wish that I would have given them more time to do this project and enjoy themselves! Silly me!

Update: So when I did this in the fall, I decided that I needed some more time constraints. I tried them this past week and everything went so much better!
5 minutes - Find articles of clothing
20 minutes - Create posters / Do math
10 minutes - Presenting
Total - 35 minutes (classes were only 40 minutes this week due to OGTs) so I would have loved to extend each of those ever so slightly. I also would have added some time to go over some of the missed homework questions.

I also added the link to the video that I have the kids watch above.


  1. Replies

      It's a quick minute long video! Enjoy!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...