Saturday, August 3, 2013

Wall of Remediation - A Detailed Explanation

Oh goodness, did you wake up and realize it was August the other day like I did?

Thus, the look on my face. And new hair :)

Anyways, with August comes preparation for school (and eventual classroom decorating, but I'm not sure which room I'll be in yet). I've gotten some questions about remediation and my wall so I thought (per a request) I'd create a post! Great idea!

But first, let me explain my school and why we use remediation. At our school, we are in a mastery system. Essentially, students must show mastery (90%) in every learning target in each unit, thus, getting mastery in each test or project. When students don't get mastery in a unit test, they must complete remediation.


Near my wall, I have a poster (created through Vistaprint) that details the steps students must take in order for them to qualify for a retest (given in class or on their own time within 2 weeks of the retest). To show me that they have learned from their mistakes and are ready to try again, students must 1) complete and show all work on their homework, 2) attend my office hours or tutor room time 3) correct the test 4) complete the remediation activity (these are worksheets or assistment problems sets based upon the learning targets they didn't master - can be found in their designated folder on the wall of remediation) and 5) reflect (I have a specific reflection they fill out on their remediation form).

After completing all of these activities, the students fill out a remediation form, staple/paper clip all of these activities together and submit this giant wad of paper to me. I typically glance through it quickly and it's glaringly obvious if they actually did the activities and learned. Based upon their completion, I then let them know if they can qualify for a retest. The results are typically pretty successful (essentially the kids have now done a million problems as they typically have to do the homework they didn't do before and more practice problems). A few cases are not successful but then we discuss what this means and I find a different way to help them qualify. The kids have finally realized how much additional work this has become and some kids do the remediation worksheets before they take the test as I don't do study guides. Those kids are very successful :).



My first semester teaching, I was not this organized and confused the kids with inconsistent remediation. Now, there is a system and consistency which they have responded to wonderfully! They love the wall and knowing exactly they must do in order to show their mastery. Another feature of my wall of remediation are the binders (kind of hard to see in the picture) that have the answers to the remediation worksheets (no work shown). The kids are constantly visiting the binders and checking their answers. It's wonderful to see how hard they work!

I'm going to include my remediation form below that details the process the kids go through as well as serving as the cover to their remediation packet that they turn in. This of course can be tweaked to work for you (one of my coworkers added the learning targets onto each of these but I wanted a generic one that was easier to mass produce).

Here's to hoping that you have a successful school year!

1 comment:

  1. I like your remediation sheet. I have my students to do a Test Correction Log but I would like to modify your remediation sheet to help my students.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...