Thursday, October 17, 2013

Trick or Treat! - My version of BuCkEt of LiEs (Solving Quadratics)

So you know how you spend all summer looking up all these amazing ideas to use in your classroom the following year? Okay, you caught me, I didn't do that all summer.... But I certainly pinned like crazy and made sure I was using those ideas! Well one of those awesome ideas was Bucket of Lies by Simplifying Radicals. Basically, the idea rocked but I tweaked the name and gave some firm instructions on what all the kiddos were to do.


I basically broke the kids up into groups of 4 (I had my classroom set up that way for another activity in Trig class - Add Em Up by Function of Time [Exponential/Log Equations Version], which of course the kids loved as well). In each group, I had a Jack-O-Lantern filled with Tricks (Incorrectly solved problems) and Treats (Correct problems, which I explained are treats to a teacher because there is less for us to fix... they soon realized this to be true).

As Simplifying Radicals said, basically it awesome to hear the kids talking and trying to find the error. The best part, that I added, was having the kids come up with questions they could ask this student. Because of course, we had to have the conversation that you can't just write, "you're dumb" on this person's test.


If you can't see it in the back, I have my Masterpiece Window with names in Window marker! They love it :)




4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this! I'm going to do this with my classes this week. Thanks for the great idea. I know my students will hate to love it...I'm adding some candy in the bucket too =P hopefully it will work as brain food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My God! I love it!!! What a perfect spin off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that I was a little star struck when I saw my email pop up with a comment from you!!! I am so honored and thankful for your bucket of lies :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...