Friday, January 31, 2014

Quadratic Who Am I?

When I was student teaching (what seems forever ago), I was once upon a time placed in a 7th grade classroom. In this classroom, I did many activities. One of them is even published on here and is perhaps my most popular post. Another activity I did was the Who Am I or Who Has activity. Back then, I did it for expressing mathematical expressions into English terminology (a concept that my kids still struggle with but I know they have seen before).

So, I wanted to do this again, but this time, with something that I currently teach and many people teach, Quadratics. The following version of Who Am I? reviews many different aspects of Quadratics:
- Roots / X-Intercepts / Solutions
-Y-Intercepts
-Vertices / Axis of Symmetry
-Domain / Range
-Discriminant
-Transformations (Left/Right/Up/Down)
-Direction of Opening
-Methods of Solving Quadratics
etc.


How Who Am I is played:

1) Teacher starts by reading the question on card 1. (Do not read the I am statement)

2) Student who has the answer to the question read by teacher reads their I am statement.

3) After reading their I am statement, student reads their question.

The cycle continues until it is finally looped back to the teacher.

There are a total of 30 cards and the first card should be started by the teacher. It'll do a full loop (it is in order here) and end with the teacher's I am statement [aka, teacher should start by reading the question]. I chose the teacher statement because it's actually a great critical thinking question to land on.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy my little review game! I think it'd be a great way to review the general concepts of Quadratics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...