Friday, March 28, 2014

The Polynomial Division Flip (Long Division & Synthetic Division)

Wow, so this one took some brain power to figure out how exactly this will print off on a double sided printer. Phew, but I think I finally mastered the concept.

Anyways.... so my Trig kids don't enjoy factoring. Who does? But they need to learn it and practice it. In Trig, my kids learn grouping, cubes, long division, and synthetic division. Now, I teach long and synthetic prior to why it is actually useful because after they can master the general gist of the topic, I introduce how to find possible roots. Then, the game becomes quite fun and useful.

Part of these concepts require practice so one day, I'll have the kids do a Who Has with Grouping and a Card Sort with the Cubes. The next day, I'll have them do a Flip Activity that allows the kids to work at their own pace by practicing polynomial division with both synthetic and long division.

In total, there are ten polynomials to flip and solve and then find where there answer is. I love that it varies in difficulty so we'll see how it goes this year!


To set up, I printed off each flip card (double sided) on a different piece of paper. These were then hung on various boards. Now, most of the kids kept moving around with a few who just decided to write it all down at once and bring it back to their seats..... I like the colors because I feel like it adds something to the activity.


Update: Well, this year it went pretty well. I realized that my kids only got through about half of the problems because they were exhausted after their Tarsia puzzle and plus, they wanted to work on their graphing project (coming soon).

Availble on TPT: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Synthetic-Long-Division-Flip-Polynomial-Division-1181592


2 comments:

  1. the synthetic division is used to solve equations with superior grade. thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the synthetic division is used to solve equations with superior grade. thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...