Monday, April 7, 2014

Graphing Polynomial Project [Water Park]


This time around, I felt like my Polynomial unit needed a bit more to it. Last term, my kiddos did a small version of a graphing project and did a teach me how to factor project. Needless to say, they did not teach me how to factor and I had to rethink that this term. Anyways, I felt like my kiddos needed to be little architects and then Part 3 was born.

Part 2 is still a birthday polynomial created by the birthday and using it as coefficients.

Part 3 of my new graphing project gave kids the ability to design their own Water Park from a birds' eye view. With the project, I gave different requirements based upon the size of the group, similar to how the Angry Birds Project operates. Needless to say, I think I have some architects on my hand ;)


One way that a few of my students completed the project was by overlaying the functions on top of a currently existing water park. This was really interesting to see and I didn't foresee my kiddos taking this perspective.







3 comments:

  1. Your projects are wonderful! As a first year teacher, I am certainly going to be using some during this upcoming year. Thank you in advance! I seriously love the originality of these ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like my projects! I know it's always a bit of a shock that there can be projects in a math class but I love it! It really helps the kids who can't always rock a test!

      Delete
  2. First year teacher here as well - love the ideas and I'm sure my students will appreciate them too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...