Friday, April 11, 2014

Properties of Exponents - Around the Room

Oh, if only I had gotten pictures of my kids doing this activity. It was great.

So here I am, getting observed by my principal and it was the day to review properties of log and exponents. We started off by doing the Speed Dating (Log Properties) activity and I thought it went okay. Noticed halfway through that we needed to review square roots inside of logs and the logic as to why they would have a coefficient of 1/2. After speed dating, I introduced the Around the Room Race.

As I started describing the race, I could see I was losing the kid's attention. But not in the bad way. In the way that they were wanting to get a head start on the race. When I finally was done explaining the instructions (all work must be shown, etc.), I said go and they were off! Every child almost stood up immediately to race to the station.

I loved the enthusiasm and I think it has to do with the fact that they were so confident with the properties (this also showed in the averages on their homework).

Overall, I was very pleased with this activity. I especially loved station 9.... it perplexed a few kids..... But don't take my word for it, check it out!

p.s. I also passed this on to my Algebra 1 teacher so that she could get her kids moving in her class too!

Properties of Exponents Around the Room

1 comment:

  1. Is there anyway to download the properties of exponents around the room activity without having to join and pay SCRIBD? Or perhaps you could share it via email? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...