Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Being a Teacher Means Being Thrifty

Hi! How are you? What's new?

Oh goodness, halfway through summer and these last few weeks, I've really allowed myself for Me Time. And by Me Time, I mean, doing things for myself, not necessarily my classroom or my career which starts back up in just under a month......

Aside from building basement furniture.... (Post to follow) Boyfriend and I have enjoyed being thrifty with one another.

The Couple who Thrifts together stays together.

Let's share a few things we've found, shall we?

First off, let me explain one of my current inspirations. I've been inspired to make a cost effective yet stylish bar cart. I'll be heading to Ikea this weekend and will continue that pursuit. I've got some pretty inspirations pinned.


I'm leaning towards the two that are on the outside (a $25 utility cart at Ikea) that I will spray paint. One aspect to a bar cart is some awesome barware.... Anyone else really like those Mad Men Cocktail Sets that Don Draper has in his office? Yeah, me too, except gold isn't really my color....

Well I was cruising around the local Goodwill and BAM. I saw these guys. I stared at them for a while and debated. I had just put forth a good portion of money in the basement update as well as another thrifty project (details soon). Walking away, I instantly regretted my decision. I couldn't sleep. I wanted those glasses.

So the next morning, I appeared at the Goodwill pretty soon after they opened hoping that they would still be waiting for me....


They were.... They just needed a little love....



Took some of the tarnish off and I'll just give them a good ol' hand wash.

Dorothy Thorpe style Silver Rimmed Glassware - 99 cents a piece [5 glasses of each size] = $20

Don Draper, you won't have nothing on me ;) Now, I just need a few pieces to finish up and complete my bar set.... ice bucket anyone?

Oh, I also got these decorative plates for 99cents a piece. I figured they'd be good for something on my bar cart ;) Stay tuned for my bar cart!

Second, thrifty moment of my week was my adventure to Target. I had read one of my daily Frugal Blogs about getting free folders at Target. And Voila! The best trip to Target EVER! I can sincerely say that I never would have expected to have a bill with a total of $0.00!!!


Three FREE Pronged Folders! Not sure what I'll use them for but free school supplies never hurt anyone :) I feel like when I'm a mom, one day super far a way, I'll secretly do this for school supply shopping with my kids......



My third thrifty moment is possibly my favorite. By far, the absolute best deal that I've ever done..... 

Boyfriend is a huge fan of Japanese Kitchen Knives, Shun Knives to be exact. These knives are quite pricey and I had convinced him to wait until they were wedding registry gifts (assuming no one would ever buy them). After all, each nice runs for around $200 a piece....

Now wait, Miss Rudolph, how could you get a thrifty deal on knives that run for $200 a piece??

Goodwill, my friend, Goodwill. That's right! God truly must be looking after us right now because boyfriend spotted them and $25 later.... we had 5 Shun knives.....



Add $30 for the sharpening/cleaning by professionals and we just got a pretty nice set of knives for $55.


Typically, these knives (this set in particular) would be around $900 not on sale!!!

Isn't being thrifty fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...